Sunday, January 29, 2012

Power Tools


What I learnt most recently is that the right tools really do make a difference. Yeah I know what you’re thinking jeez!  Didn’t you know that? Yeah just like you, I knew that, somewhere in my consciousness, but you wouldn’t think it applied to putting on make-up would you? C’mon be honest didn’t you think dabbing it on with your fingers was just good enough. Well I have to confess I did. 
Trish McEvoy Essential Brush Collection
 I used my finger for everything apart from my eyebrows and that’s because somehow along the way I stumbled on to the fact that eyebrows appear more natural if you fill in the spaces with eye shadow powder rather than a pencil and to do that well you need to use a brow brush, because the tip of a brow brush is specifically cut at a slant for this purpose.  And boy what a difference a slant makes. Don’t believe me? Try it out for yourself. You think any old thin brush will do? No problem, take a thin brush and a brow brush use both on your brows and compare. I know ‘cos feeling very lazy and rather stingy I’ve had cause to do that comparison test myself…the difference is clear! [By the way if you’re thinking of using eye make-up DON’T use black, EVEN if your eyebrows are black! It’s a common mistake.  For a more natural effect, it’s always best to go a shade lighter. My eyebrows are black but I use a deep chocolate brown, it’s warmer and less scary, very natural.]


Trish  Bow Brush
You would have thought that having learnt the power of a brow brush, I would have understood that there would be benefits across board. Nope! Somehow it didn’t click. You see I had always thought that a full set of make-up brushes is something that professional make-up artists did. You know the types you see at Selfridges hanging around their make-up counter like gunslingers, holstered up and ready to draw.  Then my daughter sent me a picture of the Trish Mcevoy Brush set with the note “Mama you just have to get this”  I was smitten… The red quilted leather (hmm shall discuss that later) casing with 10 make-up brushes lined up like soldiers on parade made my heart sing…just what I had been looking for. A compact case all done for you, filled with only the essential brushes that you could carry around easily. The music stopped however when I learnt that this object of desire was £180 "AND IT’S NOT LEATHER!!! (That's me shouting at the Trish McEvoy Counter at Selfridges), to her credit, the sales assistant didn’t  flinch she just said soothingly the magic words “They last forever” and I was lulled into acceptance only I might add after a quick mental calculation showed that the cost of each brush was over £20. (Never realized that make-up brushes were sooo expensive)  But really what clinched the sale was the quality of the hair used (soft yet keeps it’s shape), the handy portable size, the heart stopping fun colour case, RED and the fact that each brush was labeled so you knew exactly what it was to be used for. This takes away all that unnecessary guesswork

Were they worth it? Definitely! I used the brushes the very next morning as I was hastily getting ready to catch a flight. The results were startling, so fast, so smooth and professional looking. What I learnt is that to get the right look, Make-Up needs precision application. Wish I had known that earlier, sure would have saved me a lot of stress.

The only downside to all this is that good brushes cost a shocking amount of money, which is one of the reasons we have put the  Trish McEvoy set on our Lowest unique bid site so  we can give others who may have more pressing needs on their resources the opportunity to have access to this wonderful product 

No comments:

Post a Comment